Carrot, Cumin & Lemon Salad

I hate raw carrot. Hate it. Detest it. Just the thought of it makes me want to lick an ashtray to get the imagined taste out of my mouth. I don't understand why this is. Cooked, it's fine. Raw. Bleergh!

Yet, I love this dish! Maybe because there's a bunch of other flavours disguising the carrot. Who knows? But what I do know is I'm grateful a friend of mine forced me to taste it. When I objected so adamantly told me to shut up and force a forkful into my mouth. At first I was going to spit it out, then I tasted it. Chewed it. Swallowed and asked for more.

Ingredients:

750g carrots
½ tsp salt
4 tablespoons sunflower oil
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
4 teaspoons lemon juice Method

Putting it all together:

Coarsely grate or peel carrots into long thin strips with a vegetable peeler. Put into a bowl and toss with the salt.

Put the oil into a small pan. As soon as it is quite hot, toss in the cumin and mustard seeds and leave them to sizzle for a few seconds.
As soon as the mustard seeds begin to go off pop, pour the mixture over the carrots in the bowl and toss together with the lemon juice.