Beef in Black Bean Sauce

Ever since I was a kid, my favorite Chinese dish has been Beef in Black Bean Sauce. Every time we would go out or order in Chinese food, I would usually always get Beef in Black Bean.

Finally, I decided to try making it for myself tonight. Holy cow! Tasted far better than anything I've had at a restaurant or food court eatery! Super happy and impressed with my wok skills!


Ingredients:
  • 500g thinly sliced beef, 'velveted' 
  • ½ coarsely chopped onion
  • 1 clove minced garlic
  • Handful of snow peas
  • ½ cup of broccoli florets
  • ½ cup carrots, julienned
  • ½ cup sliced capsicum
  • 1 tin of sliced bamboo shoots
  • 1 tin of sliced water chestnuts
The sauce:
  • 1 tbsp fermented black beans, crushed
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • ½ tbsp dark soy sauce
  • ½ tbsp oyster sauce
  • 1 cup chicken stock / broth
  • 1 tsp corn starch
Putting it all together:
  1. Combine sauce ingredients in a jug and refrigerate for 2-3 hours
  2. Add a little oil to a very hot wok, quickly stir fry carrots and broccoli. 
  3. Add beef and stir fry until brown.
  4. Add the rest of the vegetables and stir fry for about 2 minutes.
  5. Add the sauce and keep stir frying for about 5 minutes or until carrots are soft.
  6. Serve on rice.