Chocolate Stew

My grandmother died when I was about 13 and one of my fondest food memories is her Chocolate stew. It wasn't really chocolate, but it was a dark brown coloured stew and being a little kid, I didn't know what else to call it. I thought it was something of her creation that was lost to the mists of time...until I got a hold of that classic Australian cookbook, The Golden Wattle.

I don't mind admitting that when I first tasted this, I got a little teary. It was spot on and bought back so many happy memories of my grandmother.

Image stolen from inspiredtaste.net

Ingredients:
  • 500g stewing steak
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 1 large carrot, diced
  • 1 stick celery, diced
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 heaped tbsp flour
  • 1 tbsp dripping
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • Parsley, Chopped
Putting it all together:
Cut meat into neat pieces and dip in seasoned flour.

Melt fat in a saucepan. Brown onions, then meat.

Add remainder of flour. Brown.

Add stock and simmer gently for 2 hours

Add carrot 1 hour before serving.