Oxtail Soup

I think this may have been the very first dish I ever learned to cook. It was taught to me by my mother, who learnt it from hers, who probably got it out of the Golden Wattle Cookbook...that's how these things work, no?

A few years ago I met an old Aboriginal woman at a NAIDOC week event and we got to chatting about bush tucker and she mentioned that Kangaroo Tail Soup was a favourite of hers. Her recipe was practically identical to this, but she used kangaroo tail (obviously) and added cloves and mountain peppers (Tasmannia lanceolata)  instead of Worcestershire sauce. I've never made it, but I think I might give it a shot this winter. Just have to find where I can buy a Roo tail.

Photo stolen from dinnerfeed.com
Ingredients:
  • 1 oxtail, cut into pieces
  • 2 L water
  • 1 carrot
  • 1 turnip
  • 1 parsnip
  • 1 onion
  • 1/2 head of celery
  • 1 tbsp butter (or clarified fat)
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • 1 cup Soup grains
  • a few a hearty splashes of Worcestershire sauce
Putting it all together:
Roll the oxtail pieces in the flour, cut up the vegies in thick chunks.

Melt butter (or fat) in a frypan and brown the meat and veggies.

Add everything (except the remaining flour) into a pot big enough to accommodate everything and bring to a boil.

Turn down the heat and simmer for at least 2 hours (4 is better). Skim of any scum that floats to the surface.

Serve with crusty bread, of course, and garnish with some finely chopped fresh parsley.