Viking Bread

I have wonderful friends. It was my birthday recently and they know I love all things Norse so they took me to the Viking exhibition that's on at the Melbourne Museum. It was fascinating seeing all the archaeological artifacts, and I even learnt a thing or two I didn't previously know. But one part of the exhibition which, naturally, grabbed my attention was the food aspect and they even had a recipe for "Viking Bread". I haven't made it yet, but I'm jotting down the recipe here for future reference.

Image stolen from pudicasfoodcorner.com
Ingredients:
  • 15g barley flour
  • 50g wholemeal flour
  • 2tsp crushed flax seeds
  • 100ml water
  • 2tsp lard or butter
  • A pinch of salt
Putting it all together:
Work all the ingredients together into a dough and knead. If the dough it too wet or hard, add flour or water. Let the dough rest cold for at least one hour, preferably longer.

Shape the dough into flat cakes, about 0.5cm thick. Bake them in a dry cast iron pan on the stove over medium heat, a few minutes on each side or in the oven at 150c for 10-13 minutes.